Saturday, December 7, 2013

Roasted Chickpeas


Have you ever roasted chickpeas? I heard about using them like croutons in salads, which replaces their vapid, squarish starchy cousins with some real oomph and pizzaz. I apologize if you like croutons. Roasted toasted chickpeas are wonderful- you can use whatever seasoning you want, be it cumin and a dash of smoked paprika, or just salt and pepper, or maybe a sprinkle of oregano. They have a slightly crispy shell, like (good) french fries and the inside is soft and fluffy, like mashed potatoes. Have I convinced you yet? Did I mention that they are super inexpensive?

On this particular day, it was wintery and cold, and I didn't feel like going outside. I sautéed some baby bok choy in a mix of e.v. olive oil and sesame oil (that's what I had on hand), and added a little squeeze of lemon juice to it. I then pan sautéed the chickpeas for about ten minutes, until golden and semi-crispy, and delicious. It made for delicious sides. You can use roasted chickpeas as croutons, as french fries, or because it's easier than making hummus...


This can cost 79 cents. #whatadeal Mariaofthebest, 2013.

I pan sautéed the chickpeas for about 10-15 minutes, until crisp and golden brown. Mariaofthebest 2013. 
 Ingredients:
One can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
Oil of choice (I like extra virgin olive oil)
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional seasonings, such as cumin, smoked paprika

Directions:
With oven: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put a baking sheet in the oven to heat up with the oven. Take your chickpeas and toss with oil to coat lightly. Season. When oven is hot, pour chickpeas on the hot baking sheet. Shake the pan gently to distribute the chickpeas evenly. Roast in the oven for 10-15 minutes, shaking pan gently halfway through. Ovens may vary, but chickpeas are done with golden brown and crispy. Serve immediately!

Stovetop: Heat skillet to medium-high with oil of choice. Pour chickpeas in the hot skillet, and stir occasionally until chickpeas are golden brown and crispy. I like mine extra crispy so I leave the chickpeas for a good five minutes before moving them. Be careful though to not burn them. When done serve immediately!  
Sunset at 32,000 feet. Flying to Nashville from NYC. Mariaofthebest 2013. 

No comments:

Post a Comment